91. ______, wherever he lives, a man belongs to some society.
a. with b. in on d. at
a. on b. in c. for d. with
a. Towards the end b. By the end c. In the end d. At the end
106. The French pianist who had been praised very highly ______ to be a great disappointment.
121.Some workers fear the loss of social identity that can ______ not having a job.
122.Most of the leading food shops have promised to ______ prices until after the new year.
118.Business picked up in the stores during December, but ______ again after Christmas.
65. The safety of shops ______ sea depends much on the warnings given by lighthouses.
a. on b. in c. at d. from
105. In the experiment we kept a watchful eye ______ the developments and recorded every detail.
1. She is such an irritating woman, I don’t know how you can ______ her.
a. running into b. coming across c. happening to d. falling on
59. Mary is _______ her face ready for the party.
a. in the event of b. on account of c. with a view of d. with regard to
35. I ______ to him for the error.
a. at b. in c. with d. on
a. up b. out c. on d. down
89. Earth-like planets are extremely common in the Universe, ______ the latest computer simulation of the formation of the Solar System.
73. Having been told bad weather was on the way, the climbers decided to ______ their attempt on Mount Tai until the following week.
62. How did it come _____ that you made a lot of mistakes in your homework?
15. The thief ran away as fast as he could ______ the policeman.
69. Tom has been sad recently, for his plan to go to college _____ at the last moment.
a. excused b. pardoned c. forgave d. apologized
120.The custom of visiting friends, relatives and neighbors on New Year’s Day is one the Old World traditions that has ______ a new form in the United States.
a. to b. with c. at d. for
115.The accounts have always been handled ______ the banks policies.
124. Alice ______ when a crowd from a train rushed through the gate.
27. I’ll pick you ______ at your college gate and take you straight to the station.
a. breaking off b. breaking up c. breaking out d. breaking of
a. of b. to c. for d. as
a. on b. in c. off d. to
a. on b. during c. for d. in
29. ______ they reached the small village before dusk.
a. come out of b. come off c. run out of d. run down
16. For too long, European can makers have fought to ______ old ways and old privileges.
104. Classroom testing, if well done, most certainly ______ a stimulus to study and real learning.
a. make for b. make out c. make off d. make up
74. Bill did not hear the telephone because he was completely ______ his reading.
a. related to b. included in c. involved in d. subject to
96. After a heated bargaining they agreed ______ the price for the car.
54. While in London, we paid a visit to the hospital founded ______ the nurse Florence Nightingale.
a. went after b. went down c. went off d. went up
a. burst out b. burst in c. burst into d. burst forth
a. of b. from c. to d. in
76. Science was ______ regarded as a part of philosophy.
a. on b. in c. for d. at
a. set up b. took up c. made for d. went for
31. That noise is getting louder because the engineers are ______ the engine to see if the plane is ready to fly.
a. for b. with c. of d. to
a. In b. With c. By d. For
78. Some quite artistic, yet inexpensive fabrics are now being _____ from British mills.
a. to b. with c. on d. in
37. The purse has returned to the original owner ______.
a. in b. for c. at d. by
a. care for b. care about c. be in care of d. take care of
17. Whoever ______ a full night’s sleep will be more than rewarded in heightened productivity, creativity and focus.
6. The magician picked several persons ______ from the audience and asked them to help him with the performance.
c. in contrast with d. in line with
93. Is his action consistent ______ his principles?
a. to b. in c. with d. for
a. out b. away c. down d. through
108.We regret to inform you that the materials you ordered are ______.
57. _____ the many hours of study that he devoted to the subject, he still found the subject matter difficult.
a. come at b. come for c. come into d. come over
114.The United States is a major consumer of coffee, yet it does not have the climate to grow any ______ its own.
111.On hearing the news that her father died, she ______ tears.
41. Don’t suspect your daughter ______ dishonesty.
a. In comparison with b. In connection with c. In contrast to d. In regard to
112.She was annoyed at his comment, thinking that he visitor _____ her.
81. I’m bad ______ remembering faces.
12. The idea has ______ that science cannot be wrong.
a. in b. across c. on d. at
7. I left for the office earlier than usual this morning ______ traffic jam.
a. on b. off c. out d. up
a. As to b. Thanks to c. In relation to d. With respect to
24. The car pulled ______ beside me and the driver asked me to way to the Great Wall.
a. in b. for c. by d. from
a. doing with b. running up c. turning in d. trying for
a. go through b. go without c. go over d. go about
9. Visitors are asked to comply ______ the regulations.
a. for b. of c. to d. with
a. and that b. in that c. so that d. in order that
4. The company is going to hand ______ the free samples tomorrow.
a. of b. for c. with d. to
a. put up b. stand up to c. stand with d. put up with
22. I don’t ______ the expense; I want the party to be a real success.
a. Because of b. In proportion with c. As a result of d. In spite of
a. clearing up b. holding up c. keeping up d. making up
a. took up b. took for c. took to d. took on
a. for b. with c. of d. about
107.In the advanced course students must take performance tests ______ monthly intervals.
a. cut off b. cut out c. cut up d. cut down
11. In order to save time, I ______ my shopping to once a week.
a. cope with b. take advantage of c. take care of d. look after
a. in line with b. in favor of c. in place d. in honor of
a. up b. aside c. down d. over
46. While living there, she ______ the local accent.
a. in support of b. in connection with c. in terms of d. by means of
18. Prior ______ his departure, he wrote a letter to his mother.
a. in case of b. in line with c. for the sake of d. at the risk of
42. At the head of the valley we turned right and ______ the summit.
38. We can’t hope to catch up with that car ______ us.
a. to b. at c. in d. for
55. A poor man has to ______ many thing which a rich man regards as almost necessaries in life.
a. absorbed for b. absorbed by c. absorbed on d. absorbed in
88. The shopkeeper was ______ inside his own shop, and all the day’s money was stolen.
a. with c. over c. on d. for
52. In Britain, and on the Continent too, the Japanese are viewed _______ a threat to domestic industries.
10. He ______ so much work that he couldn’t really do it efficiently.
86. Despite the traffic lights ahead, the car continued ______ full speed.
a. in accordance with c. in connection with
36. Though we have no interests ______ common, we are good friends.
a. held over b. held up c. held out d. held off
a. with b. in c. of d. by
23. We must get the roof mended before the wet weather sets ______.
a. about b. on c. up d. in
a. in b. for c. by d. with
a. hang on to b. have access to c. refer to d. see to
a. with vain b. on vain c. in vain d. of vain
a. on b. at c. in d. with
a. give up b. deny to c. put off d. refuse to
13. he did everything he could to prevent if from ______ into fighting.
117.The purpose of the official inquiry is to ______ the true facts leading to the loss of the ship at sea.
95. A foreign firm has bought more than half of the shares in his company and ______.
82. Oil drilling in that area has now stopped because the company has ______ money.
26. When the rebellion died ______ things quickly returned to normal.
109.In the United States professors have many other duties ______ teaching, such as administrative or research work.
45. It is difficult to _____ the implication between the lines.
a. count on b. come on c. attend upon d. frown upon
53. When Jack was eighteen he ______ going around with a strange set of people and staying out very late.
28. Will you please see ______ our luggage when I am away?
71. The police haven’t caught the murder alive yet, but they are convinced that the really important facts of the case will soon ________ .
8. Some areas, _______ their severe weather conditions, are hardly populated.
84. The company will send a representative to ______ their business in that region.
49. They will place China in the front ranks of countries of the world ______ the output of major industrial products.
63. Whatever the rule is, you may be sure he will keep _____ it.
a. in b. at c. for d. on
a. get to b. get into c. get over d. get at
a. at time b. at all time c. at a time d. at one time
a. in a long time b. in a long run c. in no time d. at no time
a. acts for b. acts on c. acts as d. acts to
44. The manager accused one of the hotel servants ______ stealing the money.
79. The mother scolded the boy ______ not cleaning up his room.
a. but for b. in spite of c. due to d. with regard to
a. come into force b. come into contact c. come into light d. come down to earth
a. out of work b. out of reach c. out of practice d. out of stock
39. Some animals will modify their behavior to ______ their environment.
a. according to b. in addition to c. in regard to d. thanks to
150. _______ a prolonged spell of fine weather, they were able to complete the film within the month.
a. alone b. off c. out d. over
a. in b. out c. off d. over
a. besides b. except c. but d. with
a. attend to b. attempt at c. associate with d. approve of
67. The new system encourages companies to compete with each other ______ equal terms.
58. The early part of the concert ______ comparatively satisfactorily.
a. keep off b. keep down c. keep out d. keep back
61. One day people will be able to go to the moon _____ holiday.
47. We adopted the new method _____ raising our efficiency.
a. like b. as c. with d. for
14. The construction of the new building will cost ______ 1,000,000 dollars, and it’s not easy to get so much money.
51. He failed to supply the facts relevant ______ the case in question.
a. with b. of c. from d. beyond
3. Little boys are easily ______.
a. with b. on c. in d. out of
98. all questions left ______ by history must be settled one by one.
119.Many words associated with life in the West are Spanish ______ origin.
a. by accident b. on occasion c. on average d. at random
a. by b. for c. in d. with
83. The doctor was always ______ the poor and the sick, often giving them free medical services.
a. in b. out c. on d. off
a. bear upon b. insist on c. stand up to d. persist in
32. The government is looking ______ new methods of raising money without increasing taxes.
a. got over it b. overtaken it c. taken it over d. overcome it
a. In the moment b. For the moment c. At the moment d. By the moment
a. taken in b. taken away c. taken out d. taken over
19. The company is very famous ______ the high quality of its products.
a. in sight b. within the sight of c. within sight d. at the sight of
43. Her type of women can ______ life much more easily.
a. invests at b. invests in c. invests by d. invests with
92. A man who could ______ such treatment was a man of remarkable physical courage and moral strength.
a. piled up b. picked up c. grown up d. put up
a. adapt to b. adopt to c. suit to d. conform to
2. To get my traveler’s check I had to ______ a special check to the bank for the total amount.
97. _______ all the difficulties and discomforts, they went on working at the design.
a. For short b. In short c. Of short d. On short
25. After the war, many warships were laid ______ as they were not needed any longer.
a. fell out b. fell behind c. fell in d. fell through
99. It is just three o’clock p.m. The plane just _____ five minutes ago.
94. He is by far the best player ______ the team.
85. Milk is ______ memories of home and mother so people away from home drink more milk.
1150. The government warned the people living in the forest to be ______ fire.
90. In Brazil, spending on science and technology ______ just 0.6 percent of gross national product.
a. looked down b. looked highly of c. looked low at d. looked down upon
150. ______ my car is being made ready for a long journey.
113.______ comparison to my boyhood, my undergraduate years in Oklahoma were paradise.
a. result in b. result from c. bring up d. bring on
a. bound to b. kept to c. referred to d. tied to
87. Something strange seems to be _____ me since I have been taking this drug.
75. Unwanted tickets can be given ______ at the theatre office window up to half an hour before the performance.
110.he attempted ______ to set up a company of his own.
77. The newly designed machines are high ______ quality.
150. When they had finished playing, the children were made to ______ all the toys they had taken out.
a. picked on b. picked at c. picked up d. picked out
a. took off b. took up c. took out d. took in
a. instead of b. because of c. regardless of d. in spite of
a. dropped off b. dropped out c. dropped over d. dropped on
a. reminded of b. absorbed in c. tended by d. concerned about
a. taken up b. taken on c. taken over d. taken off
56. Digital computers are practical ______ their high speed of operation.
a. in b. over c. at d. between
21. These misfortunes almost deprived him ______ his future career.
150. Mary has left the book on the table ______ purpose so that you can read it.
a. go in for b. go into c. go through d. go after
a. in b. on c. at d. by
a. put on b. took on c. brought on d. turned on
a. on the average b. on the contrary c. on the spot d. on the whole
72. The teacher expects us to do all the exercises, to study the spelling list and to get our paper ______ time.
a. on b. for c. of d. to
68. You should stick _____ the point in debate.
125.The news of important events is broadcast often _______ over television.
a. for b. on c. in d. to
116.His inability to learn foreign languages was an obstacle ______ his career.
a. about b. after c. with d. to
a. at last b. at most c. at least d. at large
66. The mass of an object is multiplied by the speed of light squared, _____ other words , the speed of light is multiplied by itself.
48. ______ the light of what you have told me, I will say that it is he who came here yesterday.
a. turned up b. turned in c. turned out d. turned down
70. David likes country life and has decided to ______ farming.
20. Once he was given a chance to improve his position in the firm, he seized it ______ both hands and is now on his way to the top.
a. After b. Due to c. Despite d. As for
33. Man is superior to the animals ______ he sues language to convey his thoughts.
123.______ classical music, which follows formal European traditions, jazz is a spontaneous and free form.
102. The parents and the children will have to leave the country ______ good.
a. turned over b. turned out c. turned up d. turned off
5. It was purely ______ chance that the mistake was discovered.
a. at b. in c. with d. on
34. Not long ago, a person who I know every well was ______ an accident.
40. Don't ______ going abroad this summer, we may not have enough money.
a. put off b. put away c. put up d. put out
a. makes for b. makes up for c. accounts for d. stands for
a. down on b. upon c. out for d. around
103. Neither their parents nor their friends have approved ______ their marriage yet.
101. During sleep blood pressure is normally ______ its lowest.
64. In one firm alone over three hundred people were laid _____ during the last month.
a. with regard to b. on guard c. on guard against d. in regard to
a. By b. In c. Of d. Under
a. on b. in c. with d. for
a. in advance of b. in the front of c. at the frontier of d. ahead of
a. looked after b. looked in c. looked over d. looked up
a. down b. off c. up d. out